Shawn Bird (B.A., M.Ed.) has been teaching for 25 years. She has taught at every secondary school in SD83.
She can be reached most easily via email: email@example.com
Other things to know about Mrs. Bird:
- She drives a distinctive VW Hug Bug called “Sheila.” It’s green and has butterflies and flowers on it. You have to hug your friends when you see Sheila, not punch them.
- She was a Rotary Exchange student after she graduated high school and lived in Finland for a year. She can still speak Finnish.
- She is president-elect of the Shuswap Rotary Club and is the teacher sponsor for the SAS Interact club.
- She is the author of several novels and poetry collections. She maintains an author blog at http://www.shawnbird.com. Her short story ‘noir-vella’ collection Murdering Mr. Edwards will be released by Coffin Hop Press in April 2018.
- Because she is active in the writing community, she knows a lot of authors and loves bringing authors to her students
- Her daughter is a teacher, too.
- Her son is a sommelier.
- She plays the harp (though not particularly well).
- She was The Bird Woman in Shuswap Theatre’s 2016 production of Mary Poppins.
- In the last four years she has been short-listed twice in the Okanagan Short Story contest, and three times for the Surrey International Writers’ Conference $1000 Story Teller Award.
- She’s been to a lot of schools! She did her first year of post-secondary at Okanagan College, her second year at University of Alberta and University of Calgary, and finished her Bachelor’s degree at Athabasca University. She did her teacher training and a Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Education at Simon Fraser University and her Masters at the University of British Columbia.
- She celebrates events in her life with artsy, interesting shoes.
- She has always owned poodles. Her current miniature poodle has his Advanced Trick Dog title and has begun training toward an agility title and free-style obedience work. (Here’s a video of Kiltti doing some tricks)